logo

FAQ About Mold

Our Services

We offer complete testing, remediation, restoration, and construction services. Mold contamination, a common occurrence in water-damaged buildings, is a proven serious health risk; immediate removal is key. If the home or building has had current or past water damage, particularly to building materials, a microbial investigation is warranted. This investigation should be performed by a company with microbiology or toxicology experience. First a visual examination of the building and HVAC system wil be conducted. The next step will be to perform surface and air samplings for analysis by an independent microbial laboratory. A remediation plan by Alliance will be developed detailing method, scope, time and controls to be used. In the case of an emergency, Alliance will remove all wet materials from the site and provide the necessary air circulation to deter dampness before bacteria can multiply. In cases where water damage has developed over a period of time, an analytical survey will be taken to determine the most effective remedial method, based on fungus type and location, as well as the extent of damages and exposure. We offer… Proper containment and removal Thorough site decontamination If mold needs to be tested, we will refer you to a list of certified labs

Why Is Mold Growing In My Home?

mold-in-bedMold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet.There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture. Mold may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, or paneling, the top side of ceiling tiles, the underside of carpets and pads, etc. Other possible locations of hidden mold include areas inside walls around pipes (with leaking or condensing pipes), the surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms), inside ductwork, and in roof materials above ceiling tiles (due to roof leaks or insufficient insulation).

Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold can gradually destroy the things they grow on. You can prevent damage to your home and furnishings, and avoid potential health problems by controling moisture and eliminating mold growth.

Molds are part of the natural environment.Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided.

Can Mold Cause Health Problems?

  • window_mold Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing.Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins).
  • Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
  • Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis).Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed.
  • Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold.
  • In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.
  • Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold.Research on mold and health effects is ongoing.For more detailed information consult a health professional.You may also wish to consult your state or local health department.
  • How Do I Get Rid of Mold?

    The key to mold control is moisture control.

  • If mold is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mold promptly and fix the water problem.
  • It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
  • It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust.The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present.Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors.If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem.If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.

    Please note: Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed. It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust.The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present.Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors.If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem.If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back. Please note: Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed.